“In a society that always wants more from you, it’s important to draw a line in the sand. What I’ve learned though is if you can draw the line with your heart, you can take a stand with a smile, dump the guilt around doing less, and instead of disappointing others, remind them what’s important in their own life by honoring what’s important in yours.” Courtney Carver
I am working at working at the right things, which is a serious discipline for me. I have fallen time and time again to the mantra of our culture, “to be more, do more”. The problem isn’t just the obvious; that it doesn’t work. It’s that I rob myself of the greater part of my God story.
This is a sabbatical year for me, so I am working through the following thoughts to guide a more virtuous life for me in Christ, where I am enough.
- I will not say “yes” when my heart says “no.”
- I will measure more by what’s in my heart and less by what’s crossed off my list.
- I will prioritize love and health.
- I will ask better questions, so we don’t have to talk about how busy we are.
- I will not let my phone run my life.
- I will trade my fears for joy.
- I will create space for solitude.
- I will linger longer.
- I will do the right thing and turn loose of the results.
On a different note, it’s Passion Week. Engage the suffering Christ who died for the love of your messy life.